Posted By: Todd Grimes (VIEW COUNT: 8313) PRINT
heavy salt brine
- Cut deer into large thin slices & soak in brine for 20 minutes.
- While meat is soaking
- Dig pit 3' x 6' 2 feet deep.
- Build rack 3 feet above ground with double chicken wire and cover. 3' x 6' pit.
- Cover sides of pit with 3' x 8' metal roofing.
- Take meat out of salt brine and let set while you do item 4.
- Put rocks in bottom of pit, and fill entire pit with alder cut up in small pieces and start fire.
- Put deer meat on chicken wire, largest pieces towards middle.
- Go to refrigerator getting case of beer. Drink beer while waiting. Turn meat often and add wood as required.
- Dry meat to your liking.