StingRay XRIII Hydrofoil Stabilizers for Boat Motors
I bought the XR from Bass Pro, because West Marine and everyone else was on backorder here in California. I installed it on my 26' Mako center console with a Merc 275. Took a good thirty minutes, but in the last three and a half weeks its stayed on without any modification and I have noticed a radical improvement in my gas usage~ I calculate the savings at 30-35%, well more to offset the purchase price. I did use a nylock insert bolt on the torque tab just to be safe, so I guess that worked. Also, I think I will try a higher pitched prop because the holeshot is superquick now and I believe theres more top speed potential now. I'll post backthe results.
August 27, 2007
I purchased this and installed it on my new honda 115hp motor and only got to use it once. The curve of the stabilizer gave me only about 1 inch max clearance from my propeller. I fish Lake Marion here in SC and this lake has an uncountable amount of underwater stumps. I was cruising about 7 knots and bumped into one of these stumps with the side of the stabilizer and you can guess what happened next. The propeller disintegrated the stabilizer leaving me with only a small portion still connected to the anode bolt. I later inspected my propeller and it didn't have a scratch on it. This lead my to the conclusion that the stabilizer, not the propeller, actually hit the stump. I have had in the past and now repurchased the Stingray's original design (StingRay XPRII) as it works great for me. I have a Macs river runner bolted under my propeller for added protection to the propeller while fishing there. I have bumped stumps before at low speeds with no issue. Only this time the flex of this stabilizer compounded with the lack of sufficient clearance was the ultimate demise of it. Hope this helps.
December 10, 2007
My husband and I purchased this hydrofoil because it did not require drilling into the cavatation plate of our 205 HP Mercury I/O. We installed it according to the directions and used it once. The hydrofoil came off the boat as well as the sacrificial anode. WE ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THIS PRODUCT!
July 5, 2007
wasted days and wasted nights
I read reviews, sought other cost effective ways to do what this companies product claims to do.I even emailed Marine hydrodynamics about this product, they said
it would install on my Yamaha 150 4 stroke just fine.After about four weeks trying to find a longer anode bolt that was stainless steel I gave up and went with steel.Then another problem the anode now hit the prop, had to dremel the anode (Concave) to allow the prop to pass freely .Now after many hours of
effort , I take her out , only to return to find cracks running down both sides of the foil from the "pinching bolts " to the anode.I will try to return this product to Bass Pro , and will comment later on that .
September 11, 2007