Orvis® Super Strong Leaders
- Engineered to excel in any condition
- Perfect for standard dry fly fishing
- Perfect for smaller nymphs in broken water
- Perfect for drifting small streamers
- Low-memory, knotless
- Offers the highest breaking strength of any tapered nylon leader
- Remains soft and supple in all temperatures
Get help about this item from fellow customers.
Ask your questions. Share your answers.
The "5x" nomenclature is a recommendation from the manufacturer as to which size leader (tippet) to use with what size fly. A simple rule is to divide the hook size of the fly you are using by 3 to get the recommended tippet size +/- 1x size, etc.
6x is a thin gauge
Size increases gradually from the highest # to the Smaller #.
Many experienced fly fishermen use the term "tippet" loosely. A tippet is just the last 24"-30" or so of your leader where it tapers down to a thin tip. The manufacturers of leaders sell level spools of this material that you can tie onto the end of your leader to restore the taper back to its original length, etc.