REBATE FREE OFFER Lowrance® HDS-5 Gen2 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter
- High-resolution 5” color display
- Brilliant, enhanced SolarMAX™ PLUS display for superior sunlight and wider-angle viewing
- High-bright, cold-cathode fluorescent backlit display adjusts to zero-dim for easier night viewing
- Built-in, exclusive Insight USA® mapping or Enhanced US basemap
- Real-time StructureMap™ capability
- Award-winning Broadband Sounder™
- Internal GPS Antenna
- Advanced Memory
- Fastest HDS® ever. Lightning-fast chart updates.
- Real-time StructureMap™ capability for overlaying StructureScan® Sonar Imaging data and maps to create a more lifelike underwater view.
- Award-winning Broadband Sounder™ comes standard on all HDS fishfinder models! Mark and display everything underwater at higher speeds and at greater depths to 3,000"
- Super-Accurate, Internal GPS Antenna comes standard on all HDS chartplotter models! Reliable position accuracy in navigation with high-sensitivity GPS receiver with WAAS corrections.
- Insight USA® High-Definition Mapping is included with most HDS chartplotter models! Dynamic contour relief shading produces a lifelike presentation of underwater topography.
- Advanced Memory with up to two waterproof SD card slots to load Nautic Insight® HD or Navionics® map options. You can also record and save vital sonar and navigation data, and upload future HDS software feature updates.
Rated 4.8 out of 5 by 5 reviewers.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Chuck41 Great buy for the money I was not able to go the full price of the larger screen units so I ended up with the Gen II HDS5. I am extremely pleased with the performance of this unit, although I would llke to see a few more soft keys that took me directly to key features rather than buried in sub-menus. There is a substantial learning curve associated with this unit, and since I come from the pre-cyber generation, us older folks don't have the intuitive dexterity that the younger set has that enables them to navigate thru the screens quickly. If you are considering adding on the structure scan, I would recommend you go to the larger screen units. The 5 inch does a great job with what's included in the basic unit, but add-on features can make it a bit difficult to see. The only gauge add-on I'm putting in is the gas flow meter, since the engine already has a tach and fuel gauge.. The tech rep said that trying to put in all the other gauge features would make it hard to see them on a 5 inch screen....so if you are considering adding in tach, fuel level, fuel flow etc, again, you'd probably be happier going to the bundled offers Lowrance is making for the larger units. I'm going to wait until then next iteration comes out and buy one of the 8 or 10 inch screens from someone who's going to jump into the next level that Lowrance should be coming out with in a year. All in all, this is a five star product that's well worth the money.. If you just GOTTA have the structure scan on the 5 inch unit, you might consider buying one of the HDS5X units and installing structure scan on it. You'd have two five inch screens on your dash, but you could probably get that added for a lot less than buying the 8 or 10 inch screen, plus you'd have a backup fish finder if something went amiss with one of them. August 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by hankeus Why not get this? I kicked around for about 9 months thinking about upgrading to the HDS. I bought one and then proceeded to kick myself for not getting one sooner. June 25, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Martyrock Great Unit The HDS-5 worked great out the box only flaw is that the user manual is not user friendly. Initially had a difficult time understanding how to change the map scale on the Chart function. I had to eventually call Lowrance to learn how to do. Although this unit was pre-loaded with lake insight maps the user manual never mentioned anything about Lake Insight Maps. I assume Lowrance issued their Gen 2 without updating the user manual. I have only had the unit on the water for 2-hours so I gave 4-stars. I would hope future Gens will have a touch screen would make use a lot easier. If you think you are going to plug and play this device and go fishing in an hour plan on at least 3-4 hours of familiarization first. I purchased a DVD from Dr Sonar who is very knowledgeable on this box however I moved up after 12-years from a Lowrance LMS-350 so there is a learning gap that I will have to overcome. Bottom line this is a great tool--look out Walleye June 22, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by tigers12 Great Product I just bought this unit four days ago, spent two days on the lake with this unit. It is unbelievable what this unit will do. I bought the combo with structure scan i was able to see the lake floor and everything on the lake floor.. well worth all the money that you spend on it. May 17, 2012
22 Questions | 20 Answers
Get help about this item from fellow customers.
Ask your questions. Share your answers.
Details:Not that update on the various technologies. But does this unit include "side scan" and "down scan"?
Details:I seen the ipx 7 when but it almost sounded like they were talking about the mmc slot only. I got this for a kayak and id prefer a waterproof unit.
Details:I fish in rough water along the Texas coastline. Will rough water affect the operation of my unit or damage it?
A:No, I don't think rough water would hurt your unit, but I'd certainly wipe it down well after each trip since the salt spray can affect the connector points. Use some of that electrical cleaner spray on the contacts, and a wet cloth to wipe down the head unit....but don't use any chemicals or soap...just a clean damp wet cloth with fresh water. I don't believe the salt water will affect the transducer since they're a sealed unit.