Higdon Decoys Splashing Flasher Motorized Duck Decoy
Articles & Information
- Splashes and flashes just like a real mallard drake
- Unique timer sequence (1-1/2 seconds on, 4 off, 1-1/2 on, 10 off) simulates attention-attracting wing-stretching movements
- Built-in bilge pump churns water just like paddling feet
- Wings are weighted so the white side faces down at rest
- Foam-filled base makes it unsinkable
- Includes 12V battery and charger
Splashes and flashes, just like a real mallard drake—just drop it in and watch it go! Unique timer sequence (1-1/2 seconds on, 4 off, 1-1/2 on, 10 off) simulates attention-attracting wing-stretching movements, while the built-in bilge pump churns water just like paddling feet. Wings are weighted so the white side faces down at rest. Foam-filled base makes it unsinkable. Includes 12V battery and charger. Runtime: 10–12 hours per charge.
Manufacturer model #: 51077.
Rated 3 out of 5 by 2
Rated 4 out of 5 by Taxlaw It does it's job well
I have had great success with this. It appears natural and the ducks are drawn to it like bees to honey. The down side is it is a bit bulky to transport
January 20, 2011
Rated 2 out of 5 by KSduckhunter workmanship issues
The decoy looks good, and when it was working, it did do a very nice job of adding some much needed ripples to the water on a calm day.
1. the pins used to insert the wings are difficult to use. in cold weather, they freeze up quickly and don't offer an easy-on or off attachment like Mojo's do.
2. The wings are a little flimsy for my liking - they are a low-grade corrugated plastic. They did right themselves most of the time to be print-up, but not always.
3. Be very cautious about using on a cold day. My first one was in the water for under 45 minutes - it was cold that morning - and ice started to form on the wings. I went out into the spread about 5 minutes after I saw it start to form, and when I did - the entire wing mechanism snapped off in the body of the decoy. There's no replacement for that..just a new decoy.
Overall, this is typical of the Higdon family - great concepts - great in areas where it's always above freezing - but horrible overall workmanship and subpar service options. The decoys simply are not durable enough to justify the premium they get for them.
Higdon needs to get their act together and get replacement parts and service instructions. They do sell wing kits, new battery boxes, etc. but provide absolutely no guidance on why something is happening or how/when to replace the parts.
November 27, 2010
Need Help? 7 days a week: 7am to 10pm CT or call 1.800.227.7776 anytime