Heritage Manufacturing Rough Rider® .22 Mag Revolver w/Adjustable sights
Value, value, VALUE!
For clarity, I've numbered my comments. I got the 6 1/2 with adjustable sights.
1) I did a ton of research to buy my first gun (and I'm 56!), and you can't find a negative thing written about the RR ANYWHERE. Yeah, there are some gun snobs who will complain about a "lack of quality" compared to the Ruger Single Six, but not only is the RR more than durable enough to last many years, it's now a lot less than HALF the cost of the Ruger.
So if you want a gun to hang on the wall and look pretty, like people I know with a hundred guitars who don't play them, get the Ruger. If you want something to USE, consider the RR.
2) If BP has to order it for you, be aware that this will take a total of THREE trips. First trip is to order, second trip is to complete the background check (if you don't have a concealed permit), and third is to pick up your toy. They can't do the BG check when you order because they need the exact serial # of your gun first--which they don't know until it arrives.
3) The gun feels like a real gun--plenty of heft but not too heavy at all, and I'm a small guy. No problem with the standard grips, but note that when you visit the Heritage web site, there are dozens of inexpensive grips available that are real easy to swap out. Other cool accessories too, like holsters.
4) The LR/WMR combo is flexible and awesome, and easy to change cylinders. I plan to shoot mainly WMR despite higher cost, but even if YOU don't, I've read that it's best to break in the barrel first with the WMRs because of their slightly larger diameter. Around 200 rounds. (Give it a cleaning before shooting though!)
5) Without glasses, I'm as blind as a bat--but the neon green and red dots on the adjustable sights model is incredible. It's not simply paint, but light-gathering tubes of colored plastic that make it a cinch to line up your dots. They almost look lighted!
6) Heritage customer service is beyond awesome, no matter how stupid your question. I asked MANY stupid questions, and they always replied quickly and nicely. In addition, I've only heard good things about their service department.
December 21, 2012
Rough Rider® .22 Mag Revolver w/Adjustable sights
I purchased this weapon as a multi purpose tool, plunking, critter ridder and my wife's ability to shoot a snake with shot-load at ten feet.
It's just plain fun to shoot and inexpensive to own. As far as operating it, it's my favorite down and dirty firearm. My wife would say the same.
I did pay extra for the adjustable sights and worth it to me.. Just a old school habit from a revolver guy.
July 25, 2012
This gun is very easy to use. The cylinders are easy to interchange. Great shooting, and good for cheaper shooting. I can shoot all day for 20 bucks.
February 6, 2012
really good purchase
the rough rider 22 is a beautiful gun. and it shoots great. out of all the pistols i have shot, i like this one the best. if you want a good reliable, and cheep revolver than this is the one to get, but if you are on a budget than get the rough rider with iron sights, it is only 199 dollars. but this one is worth the extra 50 dollars. o and this gun is very accurate, it will easily put all six shots in a quarter size group at 20ft.
December 2, 2010